Saturday, May 24, 2014

One of the many reasons Pro Tools needs to separate itself from iLok

 So, here is my dilemma. I was upgrading from ProTool's 9 to ProTool's 11 and iLok wanted me to install their new drivers. During the installation it uninstalled my old version and as I'll show you below it didn't install the new version. Now not only do I not have my ProTool's updated to Version 11, but I also can't open ProTool's 9. 

So first things first I went to https://www.ilok.com/ and downloaded iLoks Licence Manager for Windows 64-Bit OS. (I also tried the 32-bit version after the 64-bit version failed.

Next, I began the install from iLok's executable file located in the downloaded Zip file. (I've tried running this in different compatibility modes and as an Administrator.)

The installation began normally. 

Just kept clicking through the next few windows.

Accepted the Software Licence Agreement.

Began the installation.

 Everything appeared to be normal during the installation.

When the installation was complete it gave me the Error 1935.

 Then, it rolled back the installation.

 After rolling back the installation I then received Error 1603.


 Finally, the installation just came to the last screen and upon clicking Finish, just closed.

 Now when I try to open ProTool's I recieve this error saying the iLok Drivers are missing.

I ran this installation on another PC running the same Window's OS and it worked fine. I updated my iLok, but the driver on my PC with ProTool's on it still won't update the iLok Drivers or run ProTools.

I Contacted iLok and this is the information they gave me:

FYI, your case has been escalated to Engineering. The error message (about the Assembly Component) was the key. I have only seen this three times, two were damaged .NET framework installs on the computer. The other we had to resort to more drastic measures to fix Windows problems (both my responses are copied below).
1. The less drastic fixI've reviewed your case and fortunately I ran across this problem a while back. Tech support had a hard time because this isn't a PACE problem...the Microsoft blog I found says that this is a problem due to damage in WIndows (in the .Net framework).
Please use this Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
http:// support.microsoft.com/kb/926804
Don't worry that they are discussing a Microsoft Office install (Office is the victim of the problem, just like in your case the iLok License Manager is)...not to throw stones ;-)
2. The third user wasn't fixed after #1, above. I suggested the following. I don't know which did the trick, because he didn't get back to me with details, but he did confirm that he was up and running...
Some posts have reported success with a Wise Registry Cleaner tool.
A Windows "repair" install may clean up the problem (that is, install Windows version x on top of your Windows version x).
Some of the blogs I've seen recommend uninstalling everything .NET (and I'll add anything PACE to that list since we use the same Microsoft redistributables assembly component), and then following the repair instructions url I sent and then reinstalling anything you uninstalled above
If the above don't work out, you might try rolling back Windows to a restore point...I'd go back as far as I could without totally obviating the reason you have a computer in the first place

I have tried all the above. I have done a clean install. I've tried manually installing the files onto the HDD. I've run it every way possible, including in every version of Safe Mode. I've run it connected to the internet and with no connection. 

I'm at a loss. I have tons of equipment and have just recently finished building and isolation booth and now I can't do anything at all because the iLok drivers will not install. 

Someone PLEASE help me!